Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Stop Flooding My Shed


I have an old shed. It came with the house. It's in pretty good shape other than it doesn't put up with a lot of rain. The roof itself is in good shape. There are no leaks in the roof and most of the time it's nice and dry inside. .

I've noticed it floods every time it rains hard. Water seems to puddle up around the base and seep into the sides. There are some boards missing on the outside base of the shed. The plywood near the ground has started to rot away. This means water and small rodents can get inside the shed.

Standing water will damage things in the shed. Anything I have sitting on the floor will have water damage. Right now there are metal tools and plastic storage containers sitting on the floor. I think I can create some kind of storage apparatus for the tools. I haven't done it yet but it should be an easy project when I take the time to do it. 

The storage containers, I have figured out a way to get them off the ground. There were some edging pavers that the last owner of the house left in the shed. I was able to line them up on the ground and place a storage containers on top of them. This allows them to stand off the floor about 4 inches. I expect water will not be able to touch them.

I want to find a way to get the lawnmower and the pressure washer off the ground. Eventually water will damage the wheels and I will have to replace them. That's not something I want to do so I'm thinking about building some kind of ramps to lift the lawn equipment. I also have several gas cans and an empty propane tank that will get damaged if they sit in water too long. I have to figure out a way to handle that as well.

I think the reason the shed is  flooding because there's no gutter system on the roof.  I think the water is running off the roof, landing into big puddles along the side of the shed and then seeping inder the walls. The water does not drain away fast enough to keep from going where it's not wanted. I thought of several ways to handle this water. I thought about getting a drainage system outside the shed under the ground but that seems like a lot of work. I think the best idea would be to install a gutter system that hangs off the eve of the shed and collect the water as it runs off the roof.

I also need to re-trim the outside. It looks like somebody has pulled off the old trim along the base of the shed. I'm guessing it rotted and came loose. No one ever replaced it. That's something I need to do. Once I replace this it will also help keep the water out of the shed.

If I can get these repairs done or said will be useful again. I have stuff in it now but if I don't get these repairs done in a timely manner the stuff in the shed will start to mildew and crack and and the stuff in the shed will be ruined. I need to make these repairs within the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment