Sunday, October 25, 2015

How do You Find the Energy to Write when You have Worked All Day Long?

I work a full-time job and many days I work 10 to 12 hours. When I get home I will make dinner and wash dishes and fold clothes. I will do the things every other family does. I will play with the kids and walk the dogs. The question is, when do I find time and energy to write after all of that.

Today I wanted to write a decent post with bullet points and suggestions and research, but the time and energy just did not permit. I got up this morning at 2 AM so I could be at work at 3 AM. I worked till almost 2:30 PM. When I got home my wife had me put up a ceiling fan and I had to run to Lowe's to get the part I needed to make that happen.

By the time I got home and finished installing the ceiling fan it was time for dinner. We decided to eat out so I had to run out to the restaurant to pick up the food. The thought of doing any kind of writing at this point was exhausting to think about.

What I decided to do is write this post you're reading right now. I'm able to dictate it on my phone while I am sitting in the parking lot waiting for the food to be ready. I can finish it up when I get home sitting in my driveway. The nice thing about dictating this post is I can write 500 to 1000 words in about 15 to 20 minutes.

This post will turn into a journal Blog post telling you about what's going on in my day and what I'm thinking about. It won't have any kind of research or how's other then what I'm experiencing right now. I'm telling you what I'm going through and hoping you will get something out of it. 

I think people enjoy these kind of posts but I don't think it's a good thing to do every day. I know some people do and if their schedule is as hectic as mine then it might be the only thing possible if you want to do any kind of writing.

If your day is as busy as mine and you feel exhausted by the time you sit down and want to write, take a moment and collect your thoughts and dictate a post. Write something that comes from the heart or at least off the top of you head. It doesn't necessarily have to make a lot of sense. It's more about getting your thoughts out than about the actual writing itself. You can always come back at a later date and edit the post, adding points and how to's and more information that might make the post more useful to others. I do that a lot with some of my older posts. I like to come back and add something else to it. I like to add new experience and edit what I have written in the past. My mind changes a lot and sometimes it's good to let your readers know that times have changed and the way you do things have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment