Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Today's three tasks

I got an email this week called "The 3x333 Method." Written by Jason Zook. It is about completing three tasks a day. Not just any tasks, but tasks leading me towards my ultimate goals. This was an interesting thought. The email said if I took on three tasks every day, I would have more than 1000 tasks completed at the end of the year.

This morning I made a list of the things I wanted to complete today. Most of them were chores that needed to be done around the house but I made sure I added my three tasks towards my writing to this list. One of them was extremely ambitious and the other two were more along the vein of self-promotion.

The ambitious one was editing and an entire book I finished a few months ago. The book has been sitting in my WIP folder for a while. I finally finished editing the "Prep in the Rain" book two weekends ago and this one was next on the list. It's about 6000 words and I thought I could edit it in one day. I wanted to finish editing it and build the cover today but I had too many other chores to complete around the house. That's one of the downsides to writing at home.

I got about two thirds of the way through editing this book. I feel pretty good about it. I think one more good session and I will be able to complete the book. Then all I will have to do is build a cover and post it on Amazon. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get the last third done tonight. I have things going on with the family and I have to be up at 4 o'clock in the morning to go to the day job. It probably will get put off until I have an hour at home later in the week.

One of the other things I wanted to do was spend a little time on Twitter searching for other preppers who would be interested in my "Prep in the Rain" book. I think I found a few people to interact with. I'm not going so far as to ask them to purchase my book. They will get that introduction if they come to my Twitter feed. What I am doing is trying to interact with what they're saying on their feed. If I can make a connection then they might be more interested in who I am and what I'm writing.

The third item I wanted to do was based on a Kindle book I found yesterday called "5 Minute Marketing for Authors" by Barb Asselin. It was about five minute tasks that you can complete quickly during your busy day. One of them was about setting a free promotion on one of my books. What I usually do when I do those free promotions is promote it for five days for free. This book suggested I promote it one day at a time every three weeks for the full 90 days. This will allow me to space out the five days and hopefully reach more readers. I set that up for one of my other books. It will be an experiment to see if it will actually work. I don't know if it will but that's the whole point of experiments.

I'm thinking about this three tasks per day and wondering if I should post a blog post every day telling you what I did. I think these tasks will become redundant so I may not do it every day. The tasks will be regular and probably the same kind of tasks each day. If I find something else interesting as I'm experimenting with this process I will post about it and let you know what I am finding. I hope you guys have a great day and keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment