Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Consistantly Writing Blog Posts Every 3 Days


My plan is to post more regularly. I think having an assembly line of posts will help me be successful, kind of like Henry Ford and his assembly line revolutionized the way products were made. His consistency in creating a product everybody wanted was a way to make himself popular, important, relevant and wealthy. I'm not saying these blog posts will make me wealthy but I do think my opinion may help someone in the future.

I've designed a three day process to help me publish a blog post more consistently. With this process, getting segments of the work done at certain times will help me complete the blog posts in a timely manner. Having this available in a written format will give me a goal for every day. I will be able to see my results as I put them down on paper.

On day one I will outline three posts. I don't want to just have one post in mind. I want to have several to choose from. This way when I go to write the post I can choose the one I'm most passionate about at the time. This will allow me to be more concise. The thoughts will be more constructive and I won't be forcing what I want to say because the one idea I had did not inspire me at the time of writing it.

I hand write my outlines. I can outline 3 posts on one page in a composition book. I break up the post into seven parts. Each part will represent at least one paragraph. I know I can be flexible on the number of paragraphs if I have more to say about one specific topic. On each page I have room for one title and seven bullet points for each of three posts. I write as much as I can down on one line for each topic. I need enough information to write about that part of the post. In the margin I write keywords I think about as I'm outlining the post this way I can come back and add those keywords when I'm ready to push the publish button.

On day two I actually write the post. This is the time I can sit down and either type in what I want to say or I dictate it into my phone. I find I can write a whole lot faster dictating into my phone than I can typing on a keyboard. When I write I don't worry about editing. Editing takes a different part of the brain. All I want to do today is get the words down on the screen. I can edit it tomorrow on day three.

On day three I actually edit and publish the post. I want to make sure I have everything I need including the image which I should have chosen on the first day. I tweak the keywords I need to bring readers to the page. I read through what I have written and make the words flow better. I make sure there's no spelling errors or grammar weirdness. I make sure all my punctuation is in the right place. I want people to read it smoothly and not be interrupted by a mistake I've made. I go through the whole page one more time making sure everything is correct and then I hit publish. 

Now all I have to do is repeat this process consistently every three days. Each part only takes 15 to 20 minutes. I know I can find that amount of time in my busy day with a full-time job and a family at home. I keep a pad in my pocket to write down new ideas. I usually have two or three a day. If I can write these down when I think about them, I will have something to outline on day one. Sometimes I have more than three ideas to write about. That is fine. I will outline every idea I have. This ensures I always have something to put out there on my blog.

If I find myself short of ideas I make sure I am reading the responses from my readers. There will always be questions and criticisms about what I write. This will always inspire new ideas and new responses for those I want to clarify or change my opinion about.

Now that I've written this post, tomorrow I will sit down and start editing it. Then it won't be long till you are reading it. Please leave a comment and let me know how you are able to consistently post your thoughts on your blog on a regular basis. Take a moment to put your email address in to receive my posts in your inbox when I release them every three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment