Thursday, March 3, 2016

Challenging Characters

I have designed many stories around an idea, around a concept, an event. Then I build the characters to fit that story. This makes for a great story, but sometimes the characters suffer. The story steals some of the depth from them. This is when outlining your characters might be a good idea.

I have tried several ways to flush out specific characters. I find if I don't, they all start to sound the same. My favorite way to learn details about the life and personality of a character is to interview them. I will ask them questions about their past and how they will react to the events going on in the story. I might ask them about their feelings about other characters in the story. I always find interesting aspects to them I never knew was there.

Other ways to get to know your character is to outline the lifetime of that character. Decide what needs to be to make the story work.

No comments:

Post a Comment